Musée de Cluny

The entrance of the Musée de Cluny
One of the most beautiful museums I have visited in the past years must be the Musée de Cluny in Paris. This 14th century building used to be the townhouse of the abbots of Cluny, they stayed here whenever they had to be in Paris.

In the 15th century it was no longer in the possession of the abbots of Cluny, but it was kind of a guest house for the royal family. In 1789 it was confisquated by the state and had many different functions.

In 1833 it became a museum for Medieval art.

This museum has one of the finest collections of Medieval art I ever saw. Beautiful artefacts made of ivory, gold, enamel and stone or wood can be seen here.
One of the other tapestries
Really special are the gobelins, the tapestries they have here, especially the series of six tapestries named The lady and the unicorn. These can be seen in a darkened room, so the light does not damage them. It is amazing to see how fresh the colours still are and the patterns are beautiful and intricate. The postcards I bought with pictures of the tapestries do not do them juststice, but I think nothing can! At least I saw them and I have the memory.
The chapel
The building itself is also quite extraordinary. It dates back to the 14th century and also has a part of a Roman bathhouse (currently under restoration). The chapel has a beautiful structure.
So next time you go to Paris, go to this museum, it is well worth your time!

Comments

  1. Oh, I love The Cluny! (Although the bathrooms in the basement are a little medieval.) The tapestries are amazing. I wish I could have photographed them when I was there, but I ended up buying postcards instead. Such a good memory! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make sure to visit the bathrooms next time! Because there will be a next time, I absolutely loved this museum. I also bought photographs, but somehow they do not do the tapestries justice.

      Kind regards,

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love this museum. I'm glad you had a nice time in Paris !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was a very last minute thing, but I loved my trip and I was glad I finally visited the Musée de Cluny. It is in my top three of most beautiful museums I have visited.

      Kind regards,

      Delete

Post a Comment