What am I reading at the moment?

What have I read? 
In the past weeks I have read some absolutely amazing books. I have read a few beautiful Dutch novels and a Dutch non-fiction book about the writers Vasili Grossman and Isaak Babel who lived in Russia under Stalin. It was very interesting and good.

I also read a new Dutch translation of a book with six stories by Italian author Beppe Fenoglio. If there is an English translation, I will review it here as well. I love his writing very much, but not all of his books have been translated into Dutch, so that is a shame.

The new historical novel Anne Boleyn by Alison Weir was very good. A review will follow soon.

And I read a couple of Agatha Christies. I have re-read Passenger for Frankfurt in the hope it would be better than I remembered, but I am afraid it was even worse. It must be one of her worst books, it is boring and I almost did not finish it.
And I read They all came to Bagdad, which is not good, but funny (silly) enough to be enjoyable.


What am I reading at the moment? 
Another Agatha Christie is on my nightstand, Lord Edgeware dies and this is a good one.

I am also reading Fortuna's daughter by Isabelle Allende. This is a re-read and although I loved it when I read it years ago, it is taken me longer to get into the story this time.

And I am very excited to read The ballroom by Anna Hope. I am reading this with Lark, a little reading project like we did with My cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier. I only read a little over 100 pages so far, but it is well written and a very engaging story.

What am I looking forward to? 
There is a new book in the series about police inspector Harry Hole by Norwegian writer Jo Nesbo! I was so happy when I heard that news that I ordered the book immediately and I cannot wait to start in it. (I can pick it up today).

I also have these two books lined up. The one on the left is written by the same author who wrote The Mussolini canal, which I absolutely loved. This book is a sequel, so I am eager to start in it.

Dead man's blues is the second book by Ray Celestin, who also wrote The axman's jazz, which I also absolutely loved. New Orleans, Louis Armstrong and a couple of good murders, what more can you want?

And after that I want to start in one of these two biographies. I just do not know yet which one. The one on the left is about photographer Diane Arbus and the one on the right is a combined book about Marlene Dietrich and Leni Riefenstahl, who both grew up in Germany. When the Nazi's came into power Marlene Dietrich left Germany, and Leni Riefenstahl ended up making films for Hitler. I think it will be very interesting.

As you can see, I have some very good books lined up and I just could not be happier!

Comments